What is the Derma Pen Skin Rejuvenation?
Skin needling is a recently embraced procedure in the medical aesthetic field Skin needling, also called Micro needling, and has been a standard procedure in Turkey for decades. Advances over the years led to the development of automated micro needling or Derma pen.
Although not as quickly or definitively effective as lasers, this simple mechanical device based on fine needle penetration can also deliver some of the same benefits of laser at a more affordable price point.
How does Derma pen work?
The premise is simple – create a small wound and the skin will respond with collagen production and new skin cells. Depending on the depth of the needle penetration, the Derma Pen can offer skin rejuvenation levels from the simple enhancement of product absorption to the clinical treatment of scars and wrinkles.
What can the Derma Pen be used for?
Derma Pen allows the physician to quickly treat specific skin areas – large or small – to achieve a number of goals.
• Lip wrinkles
• Skin Texture / Tone
• Pore appearance
• Increase product absorption
• Superficial facial wrinkles
• Skin texture on the neck
• Acne Scarring / Trauma Scarring
• Melisma and Pigmentation
• Textural improvements to chest
• Stretch marks Treatment on the face is the primary location, but skin needling can successfully be used on any area of the body.
How deep does the Derma Pen go?
From very superficial penetration to deep dermal penetration, the professional applications have a wide range of potential to improve and correct skin problems without the use of lasers. Penetration ranges begin at cosmetic depth of 0.25mm to clinical treatment depths up to 2.5mm.
• Light penetration opens the skin long enough for the introduction of specific treatment serums. Since most product molecules are too large to cross the skin barrier, they can only be minimally effective. The Derma Pen opens the skin for a few minutes and this allows a huge increase of product penetration – your product ingredients can then reach beneath the surface where they will do the most good. Treatment serums can be selected for skin lightening, hydration, texture and pore tightening.
• Mid penetration depths can have a very positive impact on superficial sun damage and light scarring to improve skin texture and tone and a visible improvement in pore size appearance.
• Deeper levels of penetration can improve acne scars, burn scars, stretch marks and tighten skin and soften wrinkles.
• Derma Pen reduces the risk of post treatment pigmentation that is more prevalent with laser heat for ethnic skin (Patients will still need to use sun protection and avoid heat exposure while in the recovery phase.
• Depending on the treatment goal, you can expect to see results immediately for product introduction benefit to 4 to 6 months for scarring.
Is skin needling painful?
Superficial treatment levels are very tolerable with nothing more than topical numbing gel (the lightest application requires no numbing at all) applied prior to the treatment. In the instance of aggressive treatments, Dr. McLeod will discuss the options for making the treatment the most comfortable for you..